AWEA Standards Development Groups
Participation on committees and subcommittees is open to all materially affected stakeholders. Email email@example.com if you would like to participate.
Wind Environmental, Health, and Safety Standards Committee (WEHSSC)
The Wind Environmental, Health, and Safety Standards Committee (WEHSSC) prepares consensus standards documents to facilitate EHS process and procedures. The AWEA WEHSSC is a leader in the development and industry acceptance of US Wind Energy consensus standards related to EHS to develop new standards for specific US wind industry, adopt relevant international or national standards, as needed, and represent industry needs with other standards organizations that affect wind.
WEHSSC Subordinate Groups:
- Offshore Safety Subcommittee: This group will identify and publish a standard of the adopted occupational health and safety practices and standards to be applied for offshore wind farms.
- Offshore Safety Training Subcommittee: This group will focus on developing a standard to provide the offshore wind industry with an identified list of minimum and recommended safety training and medical requirements for persons performing work activities on offshore structures and vessels within the United States Outer Continental Shelf.
- Repower Subcommittee: Wind EHS Standard Committee's subordinate group to address repowering from an EHS perspective.
- Rescue & Self-Evacuation Subcommittee: This Wind EHS Standard Committee's Subcommittee will explore the development of a rescue and self-evacuation program for the wind industry.
- Service Lift Task Force: To evaluate ANSI/ASME A17.8 (Standard for Wind Turbine Tower Elevators) and recommend appropriate next steps.
- Wind Safety Standard Subcommittee: To nationally adopt European standards that impact wind energy (worker) safety and health standards (EN 50308 and others).
Wind Workforce Standards Committee (WWSC)
The AWEA Wind Workforce Standards Committee (WWSC) prepares consensus standards documents to facilitate uniform workforce competencies. The AWEA WWSC is a leader in the development and industry acceptance of US Wind Energy consensus standards related to workforce training and competencies.
WWSC Subordinate Groups:
- Micro-Credentialing Subcommittee
- Wind Technician Entry-Level Minimum Standard Subcommittee: This group will develop the draft standard for minimum entry-level wind technicians - curriculum/learning objectives.
- Workforce Definition Standards Subcommittee: To develop a document to standardize terms and definitions, which would incorporate other ANSI and known standards, for workforce purposes.
Wind Technical Standards Committee (WTSC)
AWEA prepares standards documents to facilitate uniform practices in the technology of Wind Energy Conversion Systems. AWEA also coordinates U.S. input and response to the international standards activities. AWEA will take a leadership role in the development and industry acceptance of US Wind Energy standards while resolving discrepancies between US Standards and Internationally accepted Standards, seeking to harmonize at the highest possible level.
WTSC Subordinate Groups:
- AWEA-1 Subcommittee: This subcommittee will review IEC 61400-1 and adopt as an AWEA US national standard, with a US specific Annex if needed.
- AWEA-24 Subcommittee: This subcommittee will review IEC 61400-24 and adopt as an AWEA US national standard, with a US specific Annex if needed. The group will consider incorporation of applicable UL and NFPA standards into the US adoption of 61400-24 and review the comments from NFPA and ensure that this new standard does not duplicate or conflict with any information in NFPA 780.
- Electrical Task Force: The task force will evaluate potential paths forward for electrical standards in the US given the known conflicts between various domestic and international standards.
- Offshore Wind Subcommittee: The Offshore Wind Subcommittee is part of AWEA’s Wind Standards Committee focusing on offshore wind turbine design standards. This subcommittee has the following working groups:
- Floating Offshore Working Group
- Geotech and Geophysical Offshore Working Group
- Metocean Offshore Working Group
- OCRP 2012 Maintenance Offshore Working Group
- Submarine Cables Offshore Working Group
- Structures Subcommittee: Develop structures-related design standards, recommended practices, and technical reports as needed for the wind energy industry. Incorporate national and international consensus standards, as needed.
- SWT-1 Subcommittee: The goal of this standard is to provide meaningful criteria upon which to assess the quality of the engineering that has gone into a small wind turbine and to provide consumers with performance data that will help them make informed purchasing decisions and an assurance that a turbine has been certified to a national standard.
- TR-1 Subcommittee: Wind plant power performance