* Please note that only employees of member companies who have signed a prior approval form will be able to access this website. If you would like access, please ask your CEO to sign this form and email or mail it back to AWEA. You can email the form or any questions to email@example.com.
WindPAC is the Political Action Committee of the American Wind Energy Association. Its purpose is to help elect candidates to the U.S. Congress and state legislatures who support AWEA's legislative goals for growing wind power. By supporting WindPAC, AWEA members can join together to help elect candidates who understand the wind industry and share our concerns.
Why does AWEA need the PAC?
WindPAC is an essential tool that enables AWEA to participate in the political process. Under federal election campaign laws, trade associations cannot use general treasury funds to contribute to federal or state elections. WindPAC makes political contributions to candidates using personal, non-corporate funds contributed by individuals of member companies. WindPAC is a registered 501(c)6 PAC and operates in strict conformity with federal election campaign laws.
Who can contribute to WindPAC?
Before soliciting contributions, an authorized representative of a company must fill out a Prior Approval Form. The form allows WindPAC to solicit managers and executives of your company for personal contributions. Completing the authorization form does not obligate you in any way to support or contribute to WindPAC.
All contributions must be personal, not corporate. Contributing to WindPAC is a voluntary decision. In accordance with the law, AWEA may accept contributions from U.S. citizens only. AWEA will not give any advantage or disadvantage if any person decides to contribute or not.
What is the maximum an individual can contribute to a PAC?
An individual or company PAC can contribute up to $5,000 per calendar year.
How does the PAC operate?
The PAC is run jointly by the AWEA federal legislative staff and the WindPAC Committee. The WindPAC Committee consists of representatives from member companies who are selected from the AWEA Federal Affairs Committee.
What are the criteria for WindPAC Contributions?
In determining whether contributions shall be made from WindPAC funds to a particular candidate, AWEA takes the following factors into account:
- The candidate's position on issues important to the wind power industry;
- The candidate's experience and influence in the policy-making process, including whether the candidate holds a leadership position or is likely to hold such a position in the future;
- The candidate's voting record and past leadership on issues of concern to the wind energy industry;
- The support for the candidate by one or more of the Association's member companies located within the candidate's congressional district or state;
- The nature and strength of the candidate's opposition in primary and general elections.
For a detailed report on WindPAC's success in 2017, please access our Mid-Cycle report here.