Sustainability at AWEA
AWEA works every day to grow wind energy, powering a cleaner, stronger America. But our commitment to sustainability doesn’t stop at our job descriptions, it’s a core value.
We Wind Energy because it supplies affordable, reliable electricity while also contributing to a cleaner and safer environment. Wind energy is a cost-effective solution for cutting carbon pollution, avoiding 159 million metric tons of CO2 in the U.S. every year, equivalent to eliminating the emissions from 33.7 million cars!
But that doesn’t mean AWEA can neglect its own environmental footprint. AWEA’s Green Team leads office sustainability initiatives, through which it reduces AWEA’s operational impact on the environment.
AWEA’s efforts were recognized through the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) Green Seal program as a Green Office Partner and the Conference Team has been featured in MeetGreen.
AWEA's Washington, D.C. office is also LEED Gold Certified. The video below highlights its sustainable aspects:
Here's some of our top accomplishments:
Powered by Wind
- Our Washington, D.C. office is powered by wind; renewable energy credits (REC) offset 100% of electricity use and we highly appreciate our 2017 REC sponsorship by EDP Renewables North America.
Greening our Office
- LEED Gold Certified office
- 2014 ASAE / Green Seal Green Office Partner
- Composting option in staff kitchens
- Elimination of disposable Keurig K-Cups use in staff kitchens with a transition to brewed coffee with a fair trade, organic option; coffee waste then composted
- Elimination of disposable kitchenware
- “Meatless Monday” potlucks that bring awareness of the benefits of a plant-based diet
- Annual staff paperless challenges and green printing policies
- Sustainability language included in official AWEA procurement policy
- Offsets secured for staff travel for 2017
- Green catering list developed and actively used for all office catering; special emphasis placed on wind powered caterers
- E-waste recycling program
- All AWEA events 100% wind-powered, with energy consumption offset by wind RECs
- Event sustainability policy in place requiring purchase of wind RECs to be included in all contracts for future AWEA event venues
- Programs currently printed by carbon-neutral printer on 100% recycled content paper with vegetable inks
- Long term plan approved to reduce or eliminate printed programs and surveys at all events
- Green procurement policy for all promotional products
- Long term plan to reduce carbon footprint of annual WINDPOWER Conference
- WINDPOWER Green Team Exhibitor Program
- WINDPOWER Green Angel Volunteer Program
- Green Team Lunch and Learns promote sustainable behaviors in employees. Past presentations include:
- Washington Area Bicyclist Association (WABA) to encourage increased bicycle use
- Groundswell to encourage staff to purchase wind energy at home
- The Compost Crew to encourage composting and to identify composting best practices
- Staff presentations on net zero energy homes, green roofs, and rainwater capturing systems
- Green Seal to present staff the findings of our office green audit
- City Blossoms to enourage community and urban gardening
- Green Team film showings provide education on sustainability themes. Past films include:
- From the Ashes
- Two AWEA volunteer work days with City Blossoms at DC community gardens
- Annual “Bring your child to work day” to educate children on wind energy