Offshore Wind Energy 2013
- There are 12 offshore wind projects in various stages of development spanning 10 states off the East, West, Great Lakes and Texas coasts.
- These offshore wind projects represent over 5,000 MW of offshore development with turbine sizes ranging from 3.0 to 6.0 MW, along with a transmission project that could carry up to 7,000 MW.
- The United States’ first offshore wind turbine, VolturnUS, was deployed by the University of Maine’s DeepCwind Consortium in June of 2013. This is a 65-foot, one-eighth-scale model that utilizes an innovative concrete semi-submersible foundation.
- In December 2012, the U.S. Department of Energy announced seven winners for its Advanced Technology Demonstration Project Initiative. Awardees include projects off the Atlantic and Pacific coasts as well as in the Great Lakes and Gulf of Mexico. The goal of this program is to provide funding to verify innovative technology and help lower costs. Three of these projects will be selected to receive an additional $47 million in funding in 2014.
Source: AWEA U.S. Wind Industry Annual Market Report Year Ending 2013 ©
Also in the Report
- Details of Active Offshore Wind Projects In Development
- Major Milestones in Offshore Activity
- Investment in Research & Development