Ownership & Rankings 2013
- NextEra Energy Resources continued in its perennial position as the No. 1 owner of wind project assets, holding 9,842 MW, or 16.1%, of the U.S. wind fleet.
- Together, the top 5 wind project asset owners (NextEra Energy Resources, Iberdrola Renewables, MidAmerican Holdings, EDP Renewables North America, and E.ON Climate & Renewables) own 41% of the installed wind power capacity in the U.S., compared to 42% in 2012 and 46% in 2011.
- The top 25 wind project asset owners own more than 77% of the installed wind power capacity in the U.S.
- Among the 1,087 MW commissioned during 2013, 75% of the capacity was contracted under long-term power purchase agreements (PPA), consistent with 76% of capacity installed in 2012 and a jump from 55% of the new capacity installed during 2011.
Source: AWEA U.S. Wind Industry Annual Market Report Year Ending 2013 ©
Also in the Report
- Market share of owners for cumulative wind capacity, by MW and %
- Market share of owners for new wind capacity, by MW and %
- Market share of owners for cumulative wind capacity, over time