Wind Energy Market Share 2013
- The 61,110 MW of installed wind project capacity comprises 5.7% of total U.S. installed electric generating capacity, which stood at 1,065,311 MW at the end of 2013.
- The U.S. wind energy industry continued to maintain double-digit strength as shown in longer-term indicators, with five-year average annual growth of 19.5% for years 2009 through 2013.
- Wind power delivered 31% of all new generative capacity installed over the past five years.
- In the wind-rich regions of the Pacific Northwest, Plains states, and Midwest, wind energy was the primary new energy source, providing 60% or more of all new electric generating capacity installed in recent years.
- In the upper Midwest region (IA, MN, ND, SD), wind power provided more than 80% of all new electric generating capacity installed between 2011 and 2013.
Source: AWEA U.S. Wind Industry Annual Market Report Year Ending 2013 ©
Also in the Report
- Market Share of Wind Capacity by Region, 2011-2013
- Wind percent of new power capacity additions over Time
- Global wind power installations
- All Wind Statistics by State